The Dena’ina Civic and Convention Center was designed around Alaska Native themes, including the use of natural materials and respect for the land and the environment.
The Anchorage Convention Centers and its catering arm, Savor…Alaska, part of ASM Global have embraced and expanded on this approach by “going green” in many ways beyond the already incorporated building features.
Dena’ina design aspects
- Optimal use of natural light throughout the Lobby, Exhibit Hall and Foyers
- Top level Tikahtnu Ballroom features a southern exposure window wall and huge precision-angled skylights reflecting natural light into the room.
- High-quality insulation throughout the facility, vital in Alaska’s climate
- Auto-programmable control system switches heating and lights off at night.
- State of the art HVAC systems offer the latest in responsible air filtering, ventilation and room temperature controls
- Halide lights in Exhibit Hall
- Low-wattage escalators
- Sensor-operated lights save energy in administrative offices and restrooms
- Sensor-operated auto-shut-off faucets save water in restrooms
- Touchless faucets and paper towel dispensers use less energy and are more hygienic
- Separate compactor at Loading Dock to compact and recycle cardboard/paper waste.
- Dedicated recycling bins for cans & bottles, mixed paper and regular waste encourage our guests to help us be environmentally responsible
- Bio-degradable cleaning products in kitchen and throughout the building replace the use of harmful chemicals
- Restrooms feature recycled paper products and eco-friendly soaps.
- Food & Beverage department switched from plastic and styrofoam cups to recyclable and compostable paper and cornstarch products
- Take-out lunch boxes made of bio-degradable materials
- Certified Executive Chef and Kitchen Team use sustainable and local Alaskan foods whenever possible.